I SHIELD OF THE DEPARTMENT DE HUANUCO
The department of Huánuco presents very different two types of geography: the mountain and the high forest. The Andean area is marked by the presence of the Mountain range of Huayhuash and the high forest extends throughout the oriental flank of Andes.
The city of Huánuco, capital of the department of the same name, rests beside the river Huallaga and the area is known by its production of fruits, coffee and cocoa. In these lands they were the remains of the oldest occupation in Peru, the man of Lauricocha, and in the outskirts of the city, in Kotosh, he/she is the Temple of the Crossed Hands. In Huánuco Pampas interesting constructions can be observed that date of the time of the Inca.
Been founded in 1539, the city of Huánuco had a cultural important movement in the colony and they belong to that time the Cathedral and San Francisco's churches, San Cristóbal and Merced, among other.
By Tingo María, to some 120 kms of Huánuco, the mighty river runs Huallaga. There he/she is the National Park Tingo María (4777 have) that preserves a flora (orchids, cat fingernail and grade blood) wide variety and fauna (tigrillos, jaguars, reptiles, sachavacas, guácharos, the cockerel of the rocks and the cotomono) and where he/she expands the chain of mountains Pumaringri, also well-known as The Beautiful Sleeper because he/she resembles each other to the form of a spread woman.
The Cave of the Owls is home of night birds, while in the Cave of Pavas wells of waters crystalline and abundant vegetation exist.
TOURIST ATTRACTIVENESS OF THE CITY DE HUANUCO
Been founded in 1539, the city was headquarters of a cultural strong movement in the colony, what is shown in the architecture of its churches like the Cathedral, San Francisco and San Cristóbal that also keep valuable pieces of colonial art.
Square of Weapons of the city of Huánuco
Located in downtown, it conserves a central pileta that was sculpted by the Italian architect Julio Seretti in 1845. It was used like base a stone that would have been cult object for the old residents of the area in prehispanic times. This stone is made of granite in a single piece and he/she has 4 meters high.
Cathedral of the city of Huánuco
Located in Jr. Dámaso Beraún 701. Visits: L-D 8:00-20:00.
Built in the year 1966, it contains a collection of canvases of the School Cusqueña and a Baroque size in wood of the Mr. of Burgos, King and Pattern of Huánuco, work of Jerónimo of Scorcetto. They also highlight their Baroque chandeliers of silver, of almost 2 meters high.
Church San Francisco
Located in Jr. Damaso Beraún cdra. 4 s/n. Visits: L-D 6:00-10:00 and 17:00-20:00.
Built initially in 1560 and many remodeled years later in style neoclassicist. The golden altars conserve their Baroque colonial style and I crossbreed. Between their paintings and colonial sculptures they highlight the Spanish priest's works Lorenzo Valentino.
Church of Christ King
Located in Jr. May Two 899, Sacred Plazuela Domingo. Visits: L-D 6:00-10:00 and 17:00-20:00.
The standing out in this church reconstructed in 1824 is their main altar that is taken a bath in bread of gold.
Church of Merced
Located in Jr. Hermilio Valdizán cdra. 4. Visits: 6:00-10:00 and 17:00-20:00.
Been founded in the year 1600 by the Real Second lieutenant Don Pedro Rodríguez and their wife María Gonzales. Their architecture is of style románico; the biggest altar is neoclassical and in him it highlights the image of Mercedes' Virgin, besides the silver tabernacle that dates of the colonial time. Others of their attractiveness are: two squares of the School anonymous authors' Cusqueña, two images of the Pure Virgin and Jesús Heart given by the King Felipe II, an altarpiece taken a bath in bread of gold and a Renaissance square with colored Christ's face in copper sheet coming from the Flamenco School. Their parochial file contains the departures of the hero's huanuqueño baptism Leoncio Grassland, of the musician Daniel Alomía Oaks and of the precursor of the insurgent movement for the independence of Peru in the city of Cusco, José Gabriel Aguilar Nalvarte.
Church San Cristóbal
Located in the intersection of Jr. San Cristóbal and Jr. Dámaso Beraún, Plazuela San Cristóbal. Visits: schedule of mass.
First temple built by the Spaniards in the city of Huánuco in 1542. It conserves wooden very old sizes with representations of the Virgin of Asunción, the Painful Virgin and San Agustín.
Museum of Natural Sciences
Located in Jr. General Grassland 499. Visits: L-S 8:00-12:00 and 15:00-19:00.
It contains more than 10 thousand pieces, among which are ceramios of prehispanic diverse cultures and mummies you would originate of Huánuco and Paracas.
Kotosh or Temple of the Crossed Hands
To 5 km to the west of the city of Huánuco (5 minutes in car).
Complex archaeological with more than 4000 years of antiquity. Three superimposed temples exist: Niches, Blanco and that of the Crossed Hands. This last present five niches; to the sides of the biggest niche the sculptures of the crossed hands are observed. In one of them, the right hand rests on the left and in the other one, the left on the right; it is believed that he/she belongs together to some notion of present duality in the cosmovisión of these old residents.
Distances from the city of Huánuco:
- Ambo County of Ambo) 24 km / 25 minutes.
- The Union (County of May Two) 137 km / 5 hours.
- Huacaybamba (County of Huacaybamba) 293 km.
- Llata (County of Huamalíes) 172 km / 5 hours.
- Tingo María (County of Leoncio Grassland) 120 km / 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Huacrachuco (County of Marañón) 358 km.
- Panao (County of Pachitea) 63 km / 2 hours.
- Port Inca (County of Inca Port) 362 km / 12 hours.
- Jesús (County of Lauricocha) 81 km / 3 hours.
- Chavinillo (County of Yarowilca) 72 km / 3 hours
Page created web March 30 of the one 2005.
© Copyright 2005 Gualberto Valderrama C.